This guide lists over 1,500 places where English traditional plays were performed in Great Britain, Ireland, and overseas, and is backed up with a bibliography of over 800 references. It is an updated version of the seminal book English Ritual Drama (ERD), first published in 1967. It includes a new Introduction, and searching and mapping facilities.
Maps showing: Times of appearance, Actors' collective names, Play types, Coverage of collections, Script lines and characters, Text relations, Performance locations, and more...
Working with a database of about 220 texts, the Scripts Explorer lets you:
- Find lines containing specified words or phrases
- View all the variants of a line
- See the line in the context of its script, or...
- Display the full script
- Output interactive Google Maps
- Plot outline distribution maps
Folk Play Atlas: Featured Map
Animated Map of Historical Dates for Folk Plays listed in Electronic ERD.
Click on image for full size map & commentary.